Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Health Promoter Graduation and on to Cambodia


Dear Precious Family and Friends,

I depart Yangon, Myanmar with sadness today. I am sad to say goodbye to Tial, Annie and Eden (their 20 yr old daughter and one of our translators and student). It is also hard to say goodbye to the students as we spent much time with them in the classroom and outside.
I had a great time as I taught one of my favorite subjects, birthing a baby. We took a baby doll and simulated a birth using a box with a womb carved out. I was able to purchase a fetascope to listen to baby's heartbeat. They also learned about how to care for the newborn, premature babies and emergencies. Many of the women will return to their villages and be the village midwife as well as the health promoter. The students shared that there are women as well as babies that die in their villages after and during childbirth. Hopefully some of the things I taught them will prevent this from happening.
Tial asked me to speak to the church on Sunday about how to stay healthy. I told the mothers and fathers to show their children how to keep clean, feed them nutritious food and have their children vaccinated. I encouraged them to boil all their water, brush their teeth and always wear sandals in order to prevent many common illnesses and injuries. I encouraged the teachers to teach the children these things. School children were asked to share what they learned with parents. I told them smoking causes cancer and is harmful to others as well. Too much alcohol causes many health problems and leads to much unhappiness. I ended by asking them to pray daily, have devotions together as a family and come to Church and Sunday School.
John preached on "Gratitude". Giving thanks shows our dependence on God. Giving thanks humbles us. If we recognize this, we become less envious and desirous of things. In all things, we can give thanks. God promises to be with us in all circumstances. He may not keep us from these things but he will bring good out of the evil. God may be bringing good to others in these circumstances. So give thanks for God's perfect love!
I know that when my husband died I could not give thanks but what I can give thanks for is how much I have grown since then as a result of my dependence on God.
On Wednesday we held a graduation ceremony with diplomas and pictures and a banquet. We prayed for each student that the Lord would care for them as they depend on His wisdom and strength to guide them.
We will now move on to Cambodia to provide medical care for poor villages there. Dr Ted Kuhn will be teaching an Ultrasound course to 22 Medical Residents. I was told by someone here that many of the physicians there have less training than a nurse and no license.
Thank-you for all your kind letters of encouragement. I really look forward to
reading them each day!

I Love you and miss you!
...Karen

No comments: